A brief history about Mangaratiba
The region of Mangaratiba and its district was inhabited by the indigenous Tamoios Indians until the end of the 16th century, after that period the region began its domination and occupation by the Portuguese. Later in 1764, the region was renamed Nossa Senhora da Guia de Mangaratiba and was widely used to transport and export coffee production from Minas Gerais and São Paulo. The Municipality went into decline with the completion of the Dom Pedro II railroad, which facilitated the flow of coffee production directly to Rio de Janeiro. However the city grew again with the completion of the Estrada do Ferro Central do Brasil branch that integrated the municipality to the railway system, favoring local commerce and the construction of summer houses, thus initiating tourism in the city. In 1970, with the completion of the Rio-Santos highway, the city expanded even more with increased easy access to the city and real estate rose in value, accompanying the continuing development of holiday homes. As well, the demand for tours surged with visitors seeking the natural allure and history of the region.