A brief history about Boipeba
Boipeba was one of the first places in Bahia to be colonized. Boipeba's name originates from the indigenous Tupi word - m'boi pewa - which is a reference to the sea turtle. In 1537 the Jesuits founded the Aldeia e Residência de Boipeba. Boipeba then became a producer of various foodstuffs and supplied the capital, Salvador and other cities in the region. It quickly developed with the arrival of settlers and between the years 1608 and 1610, Boipeba was elevated to a village. During this period the Church of Divino Espírito Santo was built by the Jesuits, the most important historical monument on the island. Boipeba is formed by the villages of Velha Boipeba, São Sebastião, Moreré and Monte Alegre.