A brief history about Itacaré
In the past, a region inhabited by indigenous villages that lived off fishing and agriculture, Itacaré was colonized by the Portuguese in 1530; in 1732 the Jesuits founded a chapel dedicated to São Miguel and baptized the village around the chapel as "São Miguel da Barra do Rio de Contas", together with the municipality of Ubaitaba, which was called Itapira. The settlement became a municipality in 1931 and in 1933 Itacaré and Ubaitaba were dismembered. Until the mid-70s, Itacaré had as its main source of income the cultivation of cocoa. However, a crop infestation by parasites, resulted in a huge economic decline forcing the people of Itacaré to seek other alternatives such as the exploration of sustainable tourism.